Tuesday, January 3, 2012

JUAN EL LEBRIJANO-ENRIQUE DE MELCHOR-TANGOS-ROMANCE-SOLEÁ-BULERÍAS

Juan Peña Fernández, also known as Juan Peña "El Lebrijano" or simply El Lebrijano (born 1941) is a Spanish Gitano (Roma) musician, the nephew of Perrate de Utrera. Born at Lebrija, province of Seville, he began to play Spanish guitar as a child, accompanying dancers like La Paquera de Jerez, but eventually turned to Flamenco singing. In 1964, he won the championship at the Competition of Mairena del Alcor, one of the most important Flamenco music festivals. A few years later, in 1970, he started his collaboration with famous guitarist Paco de Lucía. His most recent musical works include Andalusi influences, with albums such as Casablanca, Open Doors and Encuentros. In 1997 the Spanish Ministry of Culture awarded him the Medalla de Oro al Trabajo.

Enrique de Melchor -- When my father worked at "Los Canasteros" there was a guy there that played really well, called "El Nani". We all knew him. When I saw him I was really impressed with his playing. He asked me, "Aren't you going to play like your father?". I just played a little, practically nothing. So I said, "I don't know. I'm studying." So he showed me a falseta and I was hooked. I told my father that I wanted to play and I stayed in Madrid and I stayed at a boarding house where he stayed and I started to study. At that time I was playing with the house musicians, but behind the set, behind the curtains, so Caracol says to me "Are you ready to play?", and I went red. I wanted to die, and I said that I was, so he says, "Well get yourself a suit, tomorrow's your debut." I was about fifteen...{más}


Another amazing video - Lebrijano with Paco Cepero!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is important in making this site even better. Please send us your comments, ideas and/or questions!